Qbus split I&D?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Mar 16 14:40:52 CDT 2015

On 2015-03-16 20:15, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-03-16 19:51, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>>      > From: Johnny Billquist
>>
>>      > I need to see if I can locate the manual in the summer when I
>> get close
>>      > to where I had that 11/34
>>
>> That would be wonderful, if you find it! In addition to showing for
>> sure how
>> it basically worked, I still also have a number of questions as to
>> exactly
>> how it connected up to the optional cache, EUB memory, etc.
>>
>>      > we still seem to talk about two different ENABLE products,
>> though... :-)
>>
>> I saying what I'm about to say, I am not in any way trying to be
>> argumentative (truly, I would be as happy if you were correct, just as
>> much
>> as if I were, _provided that we had found out what the correct answer
>> really
>> is_), but I really do think that your memory is playing tricks on you,
>> with
>> the 'it didn't require any software changes at all'.
>>
>> The "Enable/34" described in contemporary posts here:
>>

>> http://gopher.quux.org:70/Archives/usenet-a-news/FA.unix-wizards/81.07.09_ucbvax.2202_fa.unix-wizards.txt
>>

>> http://gopher.quux.org:70/Archives/usenet-a-news/FA.unix-wizards/81.07.12_ucbvax.2254_fa.unix-wizards.txt
>>

>> works the way I'm describing... (Although note I do think Mike made some
>> mistakes in the diagram in the first one - I think the DMA devices
>> have to be
>> behind the ENABLE/34, per his description in the second post of how it
>> works.)
>>
>> I wish we could find a copy of the paper mentioned there
>> ("Modifications to
>> UNIX to Allow Four Mega Bytes of Main Memory on a 11/40 Class
>> Processor" by
>> Clement T. Cole and Sterling J. Huxley), as it might also answer the
>> questions
>> I have...
>
> Noel. All I can say is that I did a number of RSX SYSGENs on that 11/34,
> and it truly looked just like an 11/24 from a software point of view.
> I wish I had some more details at hand, but all I have are my
> recollections (but anyone who have done an RSX-11M SYSGEN or three knows
> that you do not forget them lightly).
> I'm hoping that Update (the computer club) still have the documentation
> around. I know we had the manuals when I played with the machine in the
> early 90s.

By the way. One thing I have not considered, and which might prove you
right, is that I do not know if the RSX system I had on that 11/34 had
been modified in any way. I (we) got the machine when it was
decommissioned, and we continued using it. So no installation was done
from scratch, as far as I can remember. I have some vague memory that I
installed RSX-11M-PLUS on that machine, but my memory is hazy enough on
that part that I wouldn't swear on it.

Every time this comes up I really want to go searching for manuals... :-)

	Johnny