AM Varityper (phototypesetter)

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jul 30 21:07:56 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 07:02:35PM -0700, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I don't know how many of you were familiar with the Addressograph-
> Multigraph (AM) Varityper phototypesetting systems.

If you're talking about the 8008(sic)-based unit which had the "developer"
unit contained within it ... you're giving me a nervous tic.

If for some reason of insanity you want to run this thing, you *must*
keep it well-cooled.  Otherwise the font disks spin ... too slowly.

At the university newspaper we would keep the classified ads that it
mis-typset and run them every April 1.  The best was the ad for the
"1876 Volkswagen Qabbit with automatic sransmisrion".  Thankfully I
have forgotten the others.

And yes, if it messed up, you got to retype all those column inches
all over again.

mcl