AM Varityper (phototypesetter)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Jul 30 21:02:35 CDT 2015

I don't know how many of you were familiar with the
Addressograph-Multigraph (AM) Varityper phototypesetting systems.
Basically small computers with floppy drives and a (very nice)
terminal--and a big box that held quite a number of photo "font" disks.
  Basically worked by shining a light through a specific disk and
character onto light-sensitive paper.   Produced gorgeous print ready
copy.  Compugraphic and Mergenthaler had similar systems and I think
there were also several other competitors as well.

At any rate, a pile of 8" HS floppies will be landing here in the near
future.  Does anyone have any leads on Varityper service manuals or
anything might help me with the task of figuring out what on the disks?
(The disks themselves do not come from a country that uses the Latin
alphabet).

Thanks for any leads...

--Chuck