Tape Drive Capstans

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:41:24 CST 2015

To add a recent experience of mine, I recently rebuilt a Cipher 540 QIC
drive (in a Ridge32).

The ID/OD of the capstan wheel on this drive is (roughly) 31/64" ID, 5/8"
OD (i.e. the inner diameter is JUST a shade under 1/2"), with a thickness
of 1/4".  I found some 3/32" thick square o-rings with a 7/16" inner
diameter and 5/8" outer for $0.10 each (from http://www.theoringstore.com/)
and I ordered a few -- the inner diameter is a bit smaller than required,
but I figured it'd just make it stay on better (well, why not for the
price...)

After cleaning the goo on the capstan off (which is an ugly
procedure...) two of the rings fit snugly on the metal capstan wheel
(leaving about 1/16" at the bottom uncovered, which is ok since that area
will probably never actually need to contact the tape roller), and with a
tiny amount of glue they stay affixed quite nicely.

I've since erased/retensioned a few tapes and written a few tapes out
without issue. Also got RX/V installed on the Ridge using it.  I can't say
it'll work for a *long* time, but it has worked fine thus far and was
enough to bring a doorstop back to life.  (Well, now the power supply is
causing issues, but at least that doesn't involve getting tar all over my
fingers...)

- Josh