Tape Drive Capstans

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Jan 30 12:44:41 CST 2015

On 1/30/15 10:29 AM, Ali wrote:

> How are you using these? Do you have the original OD and ID measurements of
> the roller and slip the tube with the right OD over it?

Correct. You obviously have to have one surviving roller to be able to do this.

Brad Parker fixed some TU58's a while ago and sent me a 1' piece of Norprene that
a friend of mine cut for me. You end up with a lot extra because you have to buy
10' minimum. He also just did a few for the 9145s we have. You put
a dowel inside the tube and cut using dish soap as a lubricant. He used an Xacto
Saw blade.

I guess creating a table for tubing diamaters that work with common pinch roller
types would be a good thing. There are some rollers that may be difficult to do.
The early DEI 1/4" cartridge drives have very small rollers. There hasn't been
much experimentation yet as far as how much the outer diameter can vary. Most of
the cartridge tapes I know of use self-clocking encoding formats, so it might
actually be quite a bit.