Thin skins [Was: Restoration technique [Was: Re: Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000]]

Mike Stein mhs.stein at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 01:02:52 CST 2015

What Jay said:

"I'm happy to host any website, ftp site, wiki, etc. etc. that is classic
computer related. As long as it meets that criteria, you can host your site
with us for no charge." and "I fully support you offering (free) hosting
services for vintage computer stuff. I am glad there are people out there
besides just me willing to host classic computer related sites"

And for newcomers he offered some background on the system which hosts this
list and a number of related web sites, mainly to reassure us that we don't
have to worry about uptime, speed, capacity or it disappearing any time soon
as so many other sites are doing these days.

At least that's what I read; where did you read anything like what you're
replying to below?

... "Jay's the only person allowed to respond" ??
... "everything you are running is a joke, waste of time" ??
... "personal attack against me and my level of skill" ??
... "I will leave if asked" ??

Huh?

As a matter of fact I can't think of any time when someone has not been
"allowed to respond" to anything on this list, not even I when I've gone on
too long with some rant or another (like this one ;).

Where does this come from? Why are some people so ready and almost
determined to see /personal/ attacks where nothing of the sort is intended
and that no one else reading the thread can see, especially when the
original post is actually meant in a positive sense?

I was recently banned from another list, apparently because a moderator
inexplicably took offence at a post of mine thanking him for expanding on a
reply from another member to a question I'd asked; I was gratified to
receive a number of emails off-list from members just as puzzled as I as to
what my 'crime' had been.

(BTW, in case you're interested: the /V(erify) option in DOS copy commands
really does NOT actually verify that the file has been correctly copied,
just that there were no write errors ;)

We're all in this to help and respect each other, so let's read/think twice
before deciding that we've been attacked or insulted and responding
inappropriately.

And while I'm at it, let me thank Jay, Chuck, Al, Tony, Terry and all the
other folks whom I've inadvertently overlooked for the (computer) time,
knowledge, hard- and software, documentation etc. etc that they've freely
donated and shared with the rest of our little community.

Thanks!!