imitation game movie

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 08:39:30 CST 2015

> It only makes sense for there to be a big array of NCR Bombes, not
> the slow British-built ones, but
> with all the ships being sunk, how could they be sure such a shipment
> could make it across the Atlantic?

Spread the shipment over quite a few ships. The machines may have been
tagged as expendable items, like most military things. If a few get
sunk with the ship, make more.

> These things were critical national
> resources, so I just can't image the US shipped a batch of them to
> Britain.  (Also, there is the security issue of how to keep prying eyes
> off the Bombes while being shipped.)

This is a non-issue. One a thing was export packed, it was just
another big crate to the dockworkers and seamen. One of thousands per
manifest. And I mean BIG crate. I have had to bust up more than a few
World War 2 export crates, and I can tell you that you will need a
much bigger tool that just your eyes!

> The Bombe parts must have been made
> in machine shops across England.

This was standard practice for just about every nation in World War 2,
just as it is now. Little bits and pieces are farmed out carefully,
and none of the little shops see the big picture.

> Any comments?

I have not seen the movie, but I will warn that Enigma people are
almost as nutty as the Tesla fanboys. There are a *lot* of
misconceptions and misinformation out there.

--
Will