Did Dr. Marc Dean Design the IBM PC or was it Lewis Eggebrecht

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Fri Feb 6 15:55:27 CST 2015

> On Feb 6, 2015, at 1:46 PM, Christian Liendo <christian_liendo at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Guy Sotomayor <ggs at shiresoft.com>
>> I knew Marc from the System/23 Datamaster project (which I also worked on).
>> Dr. David Bradley (who wrote the original BIOS) worked in the office across the hall from mine.
>
> Wow cool.
>

>> However, Lew was a manger and Marc was an engineer, so I don't see the statements as being incompatible.
>

> There are sources that list him as the chief engineer
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=Pq3POofPsBEC&lpg=PA62&pg=PA33#v=onepage&q&f=true
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/12/ibm_pc_30_anniversary/
>

> http://www.thocp.net/biographies/estridge_don.html

Actually, the "leaky old warehouse" was IBM Building 203.  While I was there we had the following happen:
Flood in the parking lot (feet of water...which is impressive since this is in FL and "high" ground is considered 5' above sea level)
Fire in the cafeteria (emergency lights failed) and the whole building lost power and was full of smoke.  Given that there were few windows it was a cave trying to get out...the only reason that no one died was that the fire while smokey didn't expand very far.
Plane crash landed in the parking lot (the Boca Raton airport was across the road)
Train derailed and dumped 3-4 cars worth of gravel in to the parking lot

The last one occurred after someone jokingly said "We've had just about every imaginable disaster except a train crash".  I think it was two weeks later that the train derailed.  No one joked about disasters at 203 after that.

However, 203 was absolutely the worst building I ever worked at while I was at IBM.

> This is why I ask stuff on here because there has been many times where public info is wrong and it has been discussed here.

I think you're mixing Lew with Don Estridge.  Don's team (of which Lew and Marc were part) were the "winning" team.  The other teams were *not* in Boca as I recall.

I believe it was Marc who designed the main board.  Lew probably had more overall responsibilities.

TTFN - Guy