maybe OT: Powerbook 5300 OS upgrade

Joe Giliberti starbase89 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 09:45:14 CDT 2015

Greetings!

I know that many of my posts to this list tend to be on the fringes of what
is normally discussed here. I apologize in advance if this is too new for
the group.

I am trying to get my Powerbook 5300 up and running as a usable word
processor (with portable printer) for school and for email. It is currently
running System 7.5.2. The machine is capable of supporting MacOS 9.1, but
my goal is 8.6. I see them talking on lowendmac that upgrading the OS makes
the machine more solid, but it doesn't explain how to do it. The machine
only has a floppy drive and no networking. Were there any system 8.6
install floppies? I can't think of another way to get it on there.

TIA
Joe