VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Sat Aug 8 01:21:07 CDT 2015

Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On 2015-08-07 18:22, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> >
> >Hmm.. it seems that the pdf is containing thestuff that I've already read
> >somewhere on HP's website.
> >
> >There are two possibilities:
> >

> >[>>> B/R5:10000000 DKA400:
> >[
> >[
> >[If you are booting from an InfoServer device, enter a command that
> >[specifies root 1. For example, on a VAX 6000 computer, enter:
> >[
> >[
> >[>>> B/R5:10000100/X:D/B:6 ET0
> >[
> >
> >Ok, the first should fit with an abbrevation:
> >
> >  B/R5:10000000 DUA3
> >
> >(I have a VAX4000-300 not an VS4000/90, nor I have an VAX6000..)
> >
> >and this boots until the message with the write protected disk
> >dua3..(sorry, don't have it handy..) and than the system hangs.
> >
> >When I simply boot  B dua3 the install system asks for a date
> >and I finally get a "$". Thats all..
>
> That is all that is to be expected. Not sure what you were expecting,
> but if you read the VMS installation manuals, you will see that this is
> where you should end up.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if you read what I previously wrote..I can hear you
laughing but I don't think that this is really helpful..

What I've expected was an behavior like that described in the manuals,
the manuals are telling stuff with boot flags that seems to not applicable
here.

W/o any flag I end up at the prompt of a standalone backup
wich is fine for me..
I'm starting the image restore and now I have a problem that the DSSI disks
are "not software enabled".

,

> And at this point, you run BACKUP to restore the initial saveset to a
> disk, and then you boot that disk to continue.
>
> >That's why I've asked what todo..
>
> And now you know. :-)
>
> 	Johnny

Shure?