OT: SNA was RE: Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 13:25:35 CDT 2015

E10k
> I didn't realise it took so ruddy long for the SSP and the E10k to speak
to each
> other.
> So I was constantly asking the SSP for the E10k's power status (to see if
they
> were communicating) and being told the SSP "wasn't the master".
>
> I'd powered things up repeatedly and made all sorts of changes to the SSP
> config and just couldn't figure out what wasn't working. So one day I'm
> messing with it again and I'd walked over to the other side of the shop
for a
> manual and gotten distracted and maybe ten minuted passed and all of a
> sudden all of the blowers dropped RPM and evened out. The SSP and E10k
> had finally finished their secret masonic handshake and the SSP did the
> equivalent of "Hey, dude, it's not 7000 degrees in here, you can chillax
now".

> "People are too impatient today" -- Chuck G
>
> True enough. I just didn't know enough to know I should be patient.

Excuse me if this isn't Exactly right,  but I seem to recall some on in IBM
saying that Thomas Watson Jr got a phone call one day. It went...

TWJ: Thomas Watson here
CLR: Is that Thomas Watson Jnr.
TWJ: Yes
CLR: and you are the head of IBM
TWJ: Yes
CLR and you first name is Thomas
TWJ: yes
CLR: and you are the head of IBM
TWJ: yes
CLE: and you are in your office
TWJ: yes, but what do you want
CLR: Just thought I would show what it is like trying set up and SNA
session. Bye...