Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Thu Nov 27 00:26:21 CST 2014

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 11/26/2014 11:31 AM, Holm Tiffe wrote:
>
> >Ido have electrical Heaters here, in german called "Nachtspeicheröfen",
> >that means they get heated up in the night at lower electricals costs
> >(between 10pm and 6am) and buffer the head in some stones, over the day
> >a fan is working from a thermostate and is heating the rooms.
> >The oven in my living room has 4.2KW and another heater in the oven is
> >additionally able to heat with 2.2KW (this one is able to heat over the day
> >hours).
>
> Electrical resistive heating for household heading in the US is being
> discouraged.  There are government incentives to convert to much more
> efficient heat pump technology--with the side benefit of air
> conditioning in the summer.  I do have "emergency" resistive heating
> elements in my air handler--they're connected to two 40A/240V circuits.

They are discouraged here too but in discussion lately as drain for
Power peaks from solar/wind power plants, since they have some buffer
capabilities.

The ovens are 40 years old and are not mine, I'm living here for rent.

> Gas is at least as popular in the US for heat and cooking.   Oil for
> heating is also used.  Coal has been obsolete for some years.  I do
> supplement my heating with wood--but then, I'm located in a rural area
> where trees grow like fleas on a dog.

No Gas here, but other Parts of the house are heated with Oil.

> >Almost impossible in the US.
>
> See above--such things are usually permanently connected.

The Ovens are permanently connected too, but they are connected to the
standard house distribution point.

> >You've not reading all my mails, don't you?
> >I already wrote that I actually have a big industry grade vacuum cleaner
> >with an 1.5 KW 3phase ansynchron motor and a zyklone.
>
> Yes, but that's atypical.  You're not going to find that in the
> appliance department of your local Karstadt, are you?

No Karstadt here. This is a industrial device like a KL10 too, but nobody
prevents me to power that thing properly und use it, even privately.
The entire infrastructure to do that already exists.

This diskussion here is about problems that US residents have to connect
their gear to a 3 phase distribution. Those problems don't exist here,
nevertheless you want to tell me that the US or NA power distribution
system is the better one..

> >Oh, besides of my tube amps most devices I have have transformers for more
> >then 20Khz...
>
> I fail to see the relevance to AC distribution.  I also have audio
> transformers and tube gear.

Sorry, that was your point.

> >Again, I wrote the US schould have changed this long before now, then now
> >it is simply to late A to change that w/o gigantic costs.
> >That doesn't mean that I think that the US has a nice power distribution
> >network, from my sight (and not only my sight) this is stone age and there
> >is nothing that you could do to change that. :-)
>
> Again, I fail to see your point.   240V 200A single-phase residential
> distribution gets the power were it's needed.  My neighbor has 240V/400A
> single-phase because he has a larger house.  48 or 96KVA.  Do you get
> more in your house?

3x 230V 63A is standard. This is approx. the same level as your 200A
Rating above but more flexible. If you want more you have to tell that to
the power company, not impossible. (in my neightborhood is an aluminum cast
company that has electrical heated ovens)

> >Sorry, who the f.. is Blefuscu?
>
> Surely, you're familiar with the Jonathan Swift novel "Gullilver's
> Travels"?  The book, not the children's cartoon series, is in reality a
> biting social satire.  Lilliput and Blefuscu were two kingdoms at war
> over which end of an egg was best to open; i.e., fighting over nothing.
>
> --Chuck

Ok, I've got the hint and I'll try to read that some time.

Regards,

Holm

  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741