Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Nov 26 15:04:50 CST 2014

On 11/26/2014 11:31 AM, Holm Tiffe wrote:

> Ido have electrical Heaters here, in german called "Nachtspeicheröfen",
> that means they get heated up in the night at lower electricals costs
> (between 10pm and 6am) and buffer the head in some stones, over the day
> a fan is working from a thermostate and is heating the rooms.
> The oven in my living room has 4.2KW and another heater in the oven is
> additionally able to heat with 2.2KW (this one is able to heat over the day
> hours).

Electrical resistive heating for household heading in the US is being
discouraged.  There are government incentives to convert to much more
efficient heat pump technology--with the side benefit of air
conditioning in the summer.  I do have "emergency" resistive heating
elements in my air handler--they're connected to two 40A/240V circuits.

Gas is at least as popular in the US for heat and cooking.   Oil for
heating is also used.  Coal has been obsolete for some years.  I do
supplement my heating with wood--but then, I'm located in a rural area
where trees grow like fleas on a dog.

> Almost impossible in the US.

See above--such things are usually permanently connected.

> You've not reading all my mails, don't you?
> I already wrote that I actually have a big industry grade vacuum cleaner
> with an 1.5 KW 3phase ansynchron motor and a zyklone.

Yes, but that's atypical.  You're not going to find that in the
appliance department of your local Karstadt, are you?

> Oh, besides of my tube amps most devices I have have transformers for more
> then 20Khz...

I fail to see the relevance to AC distribution.  I also have audio
transformers and tube gear.

> Again, I wrote the US schould have changed this long before now, then now
> it is simply to late A to change that w/o gigantic costs.
> That doesn't mean that I think that the US has a nice power distribution
> network, from my sight (and not only my sight) this is stone age and there
> is nothing that you could do to change that. :-)

Again, I fail to see your point.   240V 200A single-phase residential
distribution gets the power were it's needed.  My neighbor has 240V/400A
single-phase because he has a larger house.  48 or 96KVA.  Do you get
more in your house?

> Sorry, who the f.. is Blefuscu?

Surely, you're familiar with the Jonathan Swift novel "Gullilver's
Travels"?  The book, not the children's cartoon series, is in reality a
biting social satire.  Lilliput and Blefuscu were two kingdoms at war
over which end of an egg was best to open; i.e., fighting over nothing.

--Chuck