Northrup Flying Wing - was Re: XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Thu Jan 1 18:13:15 CST 1970

On 2015-06-19 1:19 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:
> On 2015-Jun-19, at 5:26 AM, Peter Cetinski wrote:
>>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:50 AM, jwsmobile <jws at jwsss.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The closest I came to an aircraft in this class was an almost on a Concorde Ticket in the late 70's when an upgrade to first class could get you near to the Concorde fare, and then on a visit in the 90's I got to see one take off like a rocket @ Heathrow.
>>
>> I remember the first time I saw Concorde as a boy.  I was at JFK, I think to see off my grandmother who was taking a trip back to the old country.  I’m standing at one of the large windows looking out at the flightline when all of a sudden, from the right, at what seemed to me to be just a few hundred feet above the terminal building, comes this giant roaring bird at what seemed to be a 30 degree bank after just taking off.  My little boy jaw just dropped as I watched this screaming monster white dragon fly by.
>>
>> What the heck has happened to us that we can build these planes 50 years ago that are unsurpassed even today?  Sad.
>
> Oh but we couldn't do it, you didn't really see it, it's an implanted memory. It's another great big government conspiracy, just like Apollo.
>
> (satire, in case it isn't obvious)
>
> (saw the Concordes twice, once here in vancouver, once at JFK)
>

> On 2015-Jun-19, at 7:58 AM, ANDY HOLT wrote:
>> *** If you think the SR-71 was killed-off with unseemly haste read the history of the TSR-2
>
> Here in Canada the feted story in this vein is the Avro Arrow. Scorched-earth policy invoked when the program was cancelled, next to nothing remains of them.
>
> There actually are suggestions of conspiracy and subterfuge in that story.

Yeah - just last night I was looking at some Northrup material on
Flickr. Same deal with Northrup's "Flying Wing" - according to this
source, even the drawings were destroyed.

I don't get it.

Comment: http://ur1.ca/mvh7k , et seq.

   "in 1949 the Air Force ordered all the flying wings destroyed, all
the jigs and tools destroyed, every trace of the flying wing eradicated.
A few years later even the engineering drawings were all destroyed by
new Northrop management."

--Toby