What's the secret to LK201 leaf springs?

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 14 00:27:32 CDT 2020

At 10:41 AM 12/09/2020 -0700, you wrote:
>I got an LK201 recently that was a little damaged in transit.  A couple of the keycap assemblies and their corresponding leaf springs have come off.  I can see how the leaf springs fit on the little posts on the keycap assemblies, and I can see where those snap into the board, but what I don’t see is how to get that put together and then keep it together while I turn it over and then get it in place.
>
>Clearly there is some simple trick I am missing.  What is it?
>
>Adam

"a couple"  ?

Heh. I recently bought an old HP 1640B protocol analyzer, very cheap. Turns out some genius had
'lubricated' all the front panel button mechanisms. They are the red-bodied HP 'buckling spring'
type, that are heat-staked to the PCB.
The 'lubricant' had aged into something with glue-like properties. Also a bit corrosive to PCB traces.
I've cut off the melted plastic dots and removed ALL the switches, then disassembled the switches.
Still to be carefully cleaned.

Then there's the small problem of reattaching 34 switch bodies to the PCB, without enough plastic
in the studs to re-heat-stake them.
I'm hoping superglue in the PCB holes may work. But the idea of UV-curing Bondic mentioned above
sounds appealing.

Oh, and 3 of the key switches have broken center shafts too, so I need to find some spare switches.

Guy