HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program is closing

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Sat Mar 21 09:44:37 CDT 2020

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> >  Not a question for me, but for the record I have used a WTI remote site
> > manager, essentially a combined power distribution and terminal server
> > unit, for 5 years now.
>
> That's this product line, itn's it?
>
> https://www.wti.com/c-93-cpm-800-2-series-console-server-power-control-combos.aspx

 It is, however 5 years ago the choice was different and much smaller (in
this category).  They have since switched from Freescale Power to ARM as
the hardware platform, and presumably still use Linux with a custom app to
drive it.

 Control CLI access is over SSHv2 over IPv4/IPv6; likewise serial port
access (both ways).  Per-port and per-plug user accounts can be created.
There's also control HTTPS and I believe telnet access available, but who
needs that?  Of course both can be disabled.

> That's neat! I actually never stumbled over this manufacturer, it
> actually looks quite like what is needed.

 As I say I did quite a research at the time.  The usual manufacturers I
knew of back then didn't have the features I needed.

  Maciej