Ouch, but 2 Perqs out.

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 20:51:03 CST 2020

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 6:31 PM Chris Zach <cz at alembic.crystel.com> wrote:

> > DigiBarn has a few pictures of a PERQ 1 and a T2:
> >
> > http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/perqt2/index.html
>
> Yep, the 1 is out, and one of the other two is a T2 like the picture.
>
> > There's the rarer PERQ 2, which I have a picture of here:
>
> Hm. The other one does not look like that, it is similar in shape to the
> T2 but it's a different shape and says ICL on the front. I grabbed both
> of the front panels because they were accessible, will post pics in a bit.

Something like this, then?

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/17020/ICL-PERQ-2-T1-Workstation/

A bit more uncommon over here, I think...

> > If you pull the side, front, and rear panels off (be careful there --
> > the drives are mounted to the rear, and there are cables to deal with),
> > and pull the boards, it should be significantly lighter.
>
> Ok. Next time I go over I'll see if I can at least uncover one. Maybe I
> can stack the Sun gear where the Perq1 was.
>
> > Sounds like the newer-style portrait monitor for the PERQ 2 to me.
>
> Yeah, it reminded me of that 66 line terminal people had in the early
> 80's. It was up and down, not side to side, were the other monitors
> landscape only?

The PERQ 1 was originally portrait, there were landscape options later on,
which became more prevalent with the T1 and T2 models.

> And a big DB style plug to go into the computer.
>
> > It varies.  See the Digibarn T2 pictures for one example; the
> > Summagraphics Bit Pad One was another common option -- big white tablet
> > about 15" square with a 4-button wired puck.  GPIB interface.  There was
> > also the Kriz tablet which was smaller and had three buttons.
>
> Ok, there are a lot of junk sun keyboards and mice in there and it's a
> mess with all the general crud. What does the plug going to the Perq
> look like? Are they optical or mechanical?

Neither.  Electromagnetic :).  The Bit Pad One has a GPIB cable (which on
the T2 and maybe the T1 is a DB15), the Kriz tablet used a DB15 (IIRC).

> > Looking forward to pictures!
>
> I'll post some in a bit. Not very good ones, but best we can do.

Cool!

 - Josh