Gateway Electronics (was Al Lasher's electronics closing.)

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 7 12:29:24 CST 2020

On 12/7/20 12:39 PM, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 10:11 AM Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/07/2020 08:40 AM, jwest--- via cctalk wrote:
>>> Truly sad.... I don't think theres a store anywhere that I've spent more
>> time in. I used to just sit in there for hours bs-ing with the owner.
>>>
>>> I wonder if "electronics exchange" on the Rock Road is still
>> operational...
>>>

>> Bruce closed Electronics Exchange about 5 years ago, I
>> think.  He had his mom running day to day operations until
>> she died or couldn't do it anymore.  Bruce lost his hearing,
>> so it was difficult to communicate with him after that.
>>

> We've had at least two stores in the Boulder/Longmont area that have
> evolved from awesome to lame / closed in the last 30 years...  I miss the
> consignment area to browse in. Great test gear from time to time,but they
> shied away from old computer gear (The CU boneyard / annual auctions were
> good for that, but lately have been lame).
>
> On the other hand, we have grown Sparkfun in Gunbarrel now which I can
> either pick stuff up in person, or get things shipped to my house. Their
> internet reach keeps them in business, and the local convenience of
> same-day pickup (in normal times anyway) is nice.

In my younger days (I started building electronics stuff when
I was nine!) we used to have a number of parts jobbers  in
Wilkes-Barre and even more in Scranton.  Even had one in the
Borough of Kingston, where I actually lived, that catered to
hobbyists like Hams.  All gone now for at least three decades.

bill