Gateway Electronics (was Al Lasher's electronics closing.)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Dec 7 11:39:34 CST 2020

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 10:11 AM Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 12/07/2020 08:40 AM, jwest--- via cctalk wrote:
> > Truly sad.... I don't think theres a store anywhere that I've spent more
> time in. I used to just sit in there for hours bs-ing with the owner.
> >
> > I wonder if "electronics exchange" on the Rock Road is still
> operational...
> >

> Bruce closed Electronics Exchange about 5 years ago, I
> think.  He had his mom running day to day operations until
> she died or couldn't do it anymore.  Bruce lost his hearing,
> so it was difficult to communicate with him after that.

We've had at least two stores in the Boulder/Longmont area that have
evolved from awesome to lame / closed in the last 30 years...  I miss the
consignment area to browse in. Great test gear from time to time,but they
shied away from old computer gear (The CU boneyard / annual auctions were
good for that, but lately have been lame).

On the other hand, we have grown Sparkfun in Gunbarrel now which I can
either pick stuff up in person, or get things shipped to my house. Their
internet reach keeps them in business, and the local convenience of
same-day pickup (in normal times anyway) is nice.

Warner