I'm sharing a toy

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Thu Aug 8 12:34:46 CDT 2019

On 8/8/2019 12:21 PM, Adam Thornton via cctalk wrote:
> Yeah, you might be able to DOS my Raspberry Pi.  Maybe you could break out
> of simh and start using the Pi itself to mine bitcoins.
>
> That could cost me like literally dozens of cents worth of power.
>
> I suppose I should be a little concerned that once you've broken out of the
> simulation into the Pi, then you are on a machine which has access to the
> rest of my network.  In which case, assuming you can exploit a remote
> vulnerability (or crack a credential), then, yeah, you could indeed
> somewhat inconvenience me.
>
> Well, here's hoping that there is lower-hanging fruit with more compute
> power out there.  I suspect there is.
>
> Adam

Thanks for the chortle in the AM here in IA.  My apologies for not
sending a note of appreciation last night.  I immediately logged into
Unix v7 as dmr and played around for a bit.  (no idea how to break out
of the spell command without any arguments, but that's my bad).  I'm a
CISO equivalent in my day job, and I didn't see any issue with your
initial email.

Jim