DEC Pro 350

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Feb 26 08:23:26 CST 2018

> On Feb 25, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Kurt Hamm via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Interestingly, upon first boot I was able to
> get the hard disk controller error with the picture of the computer.  Then,
> sure subsequent reboots failed to display anything.
>
> I removed all the cards and booted with no luck.

That would be the expected result if the status lights indicate a motherboard failure -- it means you're not reaching the point where it looks at the I/O cards.

> It looks like I will need to build a cable to try terminal mode.  I did
> hook a vt220 with a 9to25 cablw, but didn't get anything.

You need a cable specifically wired as console cable.  Check the technical manual for the details.  The DB25 connector is used to connect either a (serial) printer or a console, and the two are distinguished by a jumper between two of the pins.  So a console cable has that jumper in its connector, a printer cable does not.  If you don't have the jumper, the speed will be set differently (4800 rather than 9600) and the UART will not appear at the console UART address.

	paul