WTD: 9 track open reel for PDP-11

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 28 13:15:59 CST 2018

On 12/28/18 10:46 AM, Douglas Taylor via cctalk wrote:

> I have a Qualstar 1260 (Pertec Interface) and connected it to a
> PDP-11/23 with an Emulex TC02.  It was fun to see it spin the tape and
> read/write data.  I could just imagine what torture it was to collect
> data or install operating systems that way.

Didn't seem like torture back in the day.  If you were in systems
development, it was a convenient way to test various
configurations--just grab the right tape and IPL/Deadstart/Boot from it.

In fact, disk storage was initially meant to be "working store", not
storage for masses of data.   If a disk drive crashed (and they did),
you had the more reliable tape.   If you were the systems type, you
probably had a stash of your own tapes in your office.

I can remember hopping the "noon balloon" out of San Jose with a large
Samsonite briefcase full of tapes (you could carry 6 reels in it; I
still have the case.   It was often the best and least expensive way to
get a mass of sensitive data cross-country.

Anyone remember 7090 IBSYS or FMS?  TOS/360?

--Chuck