WTD: 9 track open reel for PDP-11

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 28 12:46:38 CST 2018

On 12/27/2018 1:53 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 12/27/18 10:32 AM, Glen Slick via cctalk wrote:
>
>> If you want something that can easily be shipped and moved around one
>> option is a Qualstar 1052. I wasn't impressed with the quality and
>> performance of those. I gave away the ones I had. They do 1600 (and
>> 3200), but not 6250.
> The 1260 (or later) will do 6250, but I can't recommend it--it isn't
> terribly good at reading tapes that the Fuji does fine on.  I suspect a
> couple of reasons for this--the transport mechanism itself and the very
> low speed at 6250 (less induced EMF in the head).
>
> If that's not important, it is pretty lightweight and comes in a SCSI
> version as well.
>
> --Chuck

I have a Qualstar 1260 (Pertec Interface) and connected it to a
PDP-11/23 with an Emulex TC02.  It was fun to see it spin the tape and
read/write data.  I could just imagine what torture it was to collect
data or install operating systems that way.

Anyway, that's what it took for me to get the PDP-11 tape fever out of
my system.  I think under RT-11 the tape was an MS: device.  If you
could dig up a DEC TU80 drive it has a pertec interface and open rack
space for a BA23 box.

Doug