PDF PDF Which is right and which is ... Was Re: PDP-11/24 CPU later version

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Feb 18 15:03:53 CST 2017

On 02/18/2017 11:24 AM, COURYHOUSE at aol.com wrote:

> Adobe claims " PDF/A – the ISO standard  for long-term archiving"
>
> -I  am confused about all the  versions  etc..
> -which are  good  which are   bad?
> -are there good  programs  for  opening hesitant to open pdf  file?
> - what is a good    freeware   PDF  generator?  / modifier?
> - are older  versions of the reader  better than the newer ones?
> -my HP scanner software makes PDF files  eiher as graphics or as  graphics
> with OCR
> -is my  HP scanner making "good"   pdf  files that can be read into the
> future?
>
> Sorry if  I seem  confused on  this... but I  am!

When scanning documents and converting to PDF, I've found that
ghostscript works fine (under Linux).  There's also a separate tiff to
pdf converter available as a package.   Some people use ImageMagick

There are also a number of free online conversion websites; I've used a
couple and they seem to be pretty decent.

--Chuck