New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Alan Hightower alan at alanlee.org
Tue Feb 14 17:45:40 CST 2017

Not sure if you are aware, but FYI - Malcolm MacLeod with some
involvement from Kyle Owen, Jack Rubin, and others ported your code to a
ATF1508 CPLD with a minimal test board. I believe the longer term plan
was to make a full featured community project from it, but it's stalled
a bit atm. You can find the code repo here:

https://github.com/malmacleod/omni-serial [1]

And the Eagle files for the minimal test board here:

https://www.retrotronics.org/svn/omniserial/ [2]

All 5V PTH with minimal component count. However the FTDI micro-USB DE-9
shell connector violates the component height requirements. But it could
be sub'd for a 6 pin header and USB serial cable.

-Alan

On 2017-02-14 16:21, Philipp Hachtmann wrote:

> On 14.02.2017 19:13, W2HX wrote:
>
>> Personally, i don't care about lead free solder.
> I care about lead: It's essential!
>
>> Is there a rohs requirement for small production, non profit, prototyping project?
> Yes. At least here: You are not allowed to put anything on the market which is not RoHS conform. And "putting on the market", in german "inverkehrbringen" does explicitly not mean "large quantity, for profit etc." Even doing it for fun and giving the product away for free is not allowed. With that they want to catch the smart people who try to sell kits and assemble them for free afterwards.
>
> BTW the OmniUSB is NOT a non profit project!! I have to admit that! It gives me some funding for my Eagle license and workshop equipment. But not that much. And it does actually not cover a fraction of the development work. So it's for fun on the one hand but officially run by my small business on the other hand.
>
> The CPLD and board design are not secret...
>
> Kind regards
>
> Philipp :-)

Links:
------