RL02 version of UNIX6?

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Sun Feb 5 14:33:28 CST 2017

> On Feb 5, 2017, at 3:18 PM, John Forecast <john at forecast.name> wrote:

>>> other
>>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> since it's supposed to be possible to build a non-MMU version at least of
>>> /S.  But I don't know the specifics (no RSX experience).

>>> Bill, Paul,
>>>   I have been tinkering with old versions of RSX11M (back to V2) on
>>> non-mapped CPUs, primarily PDP-11/05 as I hope to get mine running soon. On
>>> Simh
>>> with the CPU set as a PDP-11/05 which does not have EIS (I also tried an
>>> 11/40 but the SET CPU NOEIS in Simh gave me an error so I couldn't be sure
>>> if it was disabled) I was able to boot the baseline distribution for RSX11M
>>> V4.0 on a RL02 distribution. See details below on the config I tested.
>>> RSX11M is a pretty capable multitasking, multiuser system and would be good
>>> fit for the PDP-11/40.
>>>

>> RL02 or RL01?  I have only RL02 drives (2).  Are you saying you can
>>
>> 1) Use simH to set up the environment
>> 2) Port to RL02 image disk
>> 3) Take image put on actual RL02?
>>

> 	I just checked and the V3.2 distribution disks on bitsavers are RL02 images (even if
> 	they are in the RL01 directory). The baseline image is an unmapped system which is
> 	a bit restrictive for your 11/40 but there is a full mapped system on the disk. To make
> 	the mapped system the default:
>
> 	1. boot the baseline unmapped system as Mark showed below. Make sure your
> 	    system is configured as an 11/40.
>
> 	2. type the following at the “>” prompt
>
> 		ins $boo
> 		boo [1,54]rsx11m
>
> 	  this will boot up the mapped system.
>
> 	3. to make this the default (after the acs command wait for a response that the
> 	    checkpoint file is inactive):
>
> 		acs sy:/blks=0
> 		sav /wb
>
> 	now you should have a bootable mapped system which you can copy to your
> 	physical RL02. Depending on the state of your EIS board you may want to
> 	stay with the original unmapped system - I suspect that the baseline mapped
> 	system will always try to use the “sob” instruction.

	I think you should be OK with the mapped system. I just took a look at the v3.2
	installation guide and it does not include a question about using EIS, that option
	appears to have been added in v4.x.

  John.

>  John.
>

>>> Best,
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> sim> sho cpu
>>> CPU     11/05, idle enabled, autoconfiguration enabled
>>>       64KB
>>> sim> sh rl
>>> RL      RL11, address=17774400-17774411, vector=160, 4 units
>>> RL0   2621KW, attached to rsxm32.rl01, on line
>>>       write enabled, RL01
>>> RL1   2621KW, attached to excprv.rl01, on line
>>>       write enabled, RL01
>>> RL2   2621KW, attached to mcrsrc.rl01, on line
>>>       write enabled, RL01
>>> RL3   2621KW, attached to rlutil.rl01, on line
>>>       write enabled, RL01
>>> sim> b rl
>>>

>>> RSX-11M V4.0 BL32   28.K (BASELINE)
>>> DL0: Mounted Loaded Type=RL01
>>> DL1: Loaded Type=RL01
>>> TT0:
>>> NL0:
>>> TI0:
>>> CO0:    TT0:
>>> CL0:    TT0:
>>> LB0:    DL0:
>>> SY0:    DL0:
>>>

>>> Directory DL0:[200,200]
>>> 4-FEB-80 17:52
>>>
>>> BLDLAINIT.CMD;1     14.        22-JAN-82 10:19
>>> SGNBLDDRV.CMD;1     19.        22-JAN-82 10:19
>>> SGNKLAB.CMD;1       70.        22-JAN-82 10:19
>>> SGNSTAND.CMD;1      4.         22-JAN-82 10:19
>>> SYSGEN.CMD;1        85.        22-JAN-82 10:19
>>> SYSGEN2.CMD;1       79.        22-JAN-82 10:19