Small breakthrough (was: Re: Logic Analysers)

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 08:32:28 CST 2017

I've just done a little dance of joy.

Whilst looking at the code and trying to cross reference it against the
timing signals I was seeing for RD operations it became obvious that there
was an address mixup and a RET instruction was jumping back to the wrong
part of the code - a return to 0x005C was actually going back to 0x0054
which implied bit 4 could be having a problem.

I piggybacked a 4116-2 onto bit 4's chip and got a burst of activity then
what seemed like a crash, looking at the decoded address output I could
follow the code through several loops to a IN instruction where it stopped
and sure enough IO/M had gone high on the 8085 - first time I've seen that
happen :D

Replacing the chip and testing the old one in my 4116 tester showed it was
properly dead.

Onwards, ever onwards... Now I need to find out either what device should be
at 0xE3 or which particular chip on the IO/M path has a stuck input (there's
3) - given this machine's failure rate at blown gates I'll not be surprised
if this is the next fault.

Cheers folks!

--
Adrian/Witchy