Sage II

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Oct 30 17:48:47 CDT 2016

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016, william degnan wrote:
> I don't have a HD drive attached to my imaging computer, which is the
> original point I made when I first replied to your post, asking about the
> format.  I was afraid I could not read the disk.
>> I also got last week a IBM PC 5170, if I could get it working,
>> it should be able to write the SAGE II floppies, right?
> if it's a 96 tpi drive and you have a newer OS like DOS 6.2 running on it.

6.2x is my favorite version of DOS, "the first one where improving
reliability was a fundamental intent", and 3.20 was the first one that
consistently had 720K DOS format, however,
since imaging software would most often be using INT13h, or even direct
acccess of the FDC, ANY version of DOS should be OK.

Life is sometimes a little easier using a 720K 5.25" drive (such as
Mitsubishi 4853, Shugart 465, Tandon TM100-4) instead of a
1.2M 5.25" drive.
If the drive is running 300RPM, then the data transfer rate should be
250K.
If the drive is running 360RPM (some 1.2M drives), then the data transfer
rate should be 300K.
But correcting the data transfer rate is all the extra that is needed for
using a 1.2M for "720K"/"quad density" formats