DEC M9312 Configs for a 11/40

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 21:51:15 CST 2016

On 11/28/16 6:46 PM, william degnan wrote:

>> Recently (today) I noticed Address light 16 would come on when I examine
>> an address.  For example
>>
> All switches down, turn on machine  (set to 000 000)
> RUN/PROC/BUS/CONSOLE lights come one, all other lights off
> hit LOAD ADDR
> address light 16 comes on, RUN/PROC/BUS/CONSOLE lights stay on.
> If I hit START light 16 turns off.
> If I try again, to load an address, the address I selected appears, but so
> does light 16.
>
> I believe I have seen the explanation for this symptom somewhere, but
> reading the 11/40 CPU manual and handbook and I could not find the
> explanation.  Does anyone know what this means?
I don't believe this has any specific diagnostic meaning.  It's possible
that there is a stuck bit in the front panel logic.  It's also possible
there is something wrong with the MMU, since (IIRC) the MMU is what
drives address bits 16 and 17 from the CPU side.

If you load an address from the front panel, is it *actually* loading
the address on the switches, or is it loading the address on the
switches with bit 16 also on?  Try depositing a known word into a
specific memory address, like 1000 using the console PROM, then try
reading it back with the front panel.

- Josh