more on lisp compilers

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Thu Nov 10 13:31:02 CST 2016

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Richard Loken <rlloken at telus.net> wrote:

> So last week there was some conversation about lisp compilers and an
> expressed interest in old VAX lisp comilers.  Co-incidently, I was rooting
> through the morgue at work on semi legitimate business and found
> VAXlisp 2.2 copyright 1987.  Sadly, it is on a TK50 and is the Ultrix
> version.

Ultrix?  Is there a label that identifies the target platform?  I have a
DECstation 5000/200 running Ultrix, as well as a TK50 that works with it.

> Since it sparked my interest, I went through the rest of the pile but
> no VMS lisp compiler was unearthed.  I found o-l-d VAX/VMS ADA, C, basic,
> pascal, fortran compilers but no lisp compilers and all on moldering
> TK50s lying in wait for any hapless tape drive that may accept them.
>
> Oh yes, this is all VMS 5.5-1 stuff, there seems to be an entire distro
> there plus a lot of layered products.  These are reduntant, my employer's
> last VAX is now sleeping in my basement.

That TK50 drive works on my VAX 4000/300 as well....

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."