Need Rec: Book to teach about computers and BASIC at an eight year old level

Tapley, Mark mtapley at swri.edu
Fri May 27 18:18:26 CDT 2016

On May 27, 2016, at 5:15 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> There are lots of Pi-based kits out there created for this very purpose. E.g.:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20410

Points to multiple links on the “Gertboard” accessory. That adds lots of input/output control and an Atmel controller to the Raspberry Pi. If you are going to get more (modern) hardware, I second this recommendation as well. If your 8-year-old wants to flash lights or control a robot or something, this may be pretty appealing.

The Raspberry Pi can also run (and has available, for free) an early version of Minecraft and a pretty recent version of Mathematica, so it has a lot of potential … but it has a lot of potential to get distracted from what I think you are aiming for.