Need Rec: Book to teach about computers and BASIC at an eight year old level

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Fri May 27 17:15:10 CDT 2016

> On May 27, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Jay West <jwest at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> At the risk of being flamed... I'll mention that if the kid is more visually driven, you might try introducing him to an Arduino Uno or similar. Something he can see the results of his code in lights and dials.

And ultimately, the whole purpose of the RPi was for this sort of education.  There are lots of Pi-based kits out there created for this very purpose. E.g.:

  https://www.adafruit.com/products/955

  https://www.adafruit.com/products/1538

  https://www.adafruit.com/products/3058

  http://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-3-ultimate-kit.html

raspberrypi.org has tons of material aimed at that age group, both software and hardware hacking.

For Arduino:

  http://www.canakit.com/arduino-professional-kit.html

  http://www.canakit.com/sparkfun-inventor-s-kit-for-arduino-with-retail-case.html

With Arduino, you need a separate host computer to write/download the code on/from.  But the Arduino kits are much more oriented towards physical interfaces, and I defy you to introduce me to an eight-year-old who doesn't want to build robots! :-)