Titlers, Switchers, Paintboxes, Paint Apps and Old Broadcast Equipment

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Wed May 4 09:48:11 CDT 2016

> Back in the early 90's I remember that many times I'd see a print
> advertisement for a Video Toaster or a new genlock card, they'd say things
> like "features you'd have to pay thousands for in a professional paintbox
> or titler!" I always wondered what they were talking about, since I'd
> never seen how broadcast was done back then (and still don't know). So,
> I'm really talking about the tech of the 80's (since that's what the
> marketing folks were referring to, I assume).
> Here's what I could find that I'm speculating were the "competition" of
> the time:

I think this is one of the center companies of that world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chyron_Corporation

I'm not a broadcast guy just a hobbyist but pay attention to lots of
different tech stuff! A diver friend is a manager on a video
production truck (top of the line type.) I've gotten to tour his current
one and it was insane. I've never seen so much hardware in
such a tight space (Full length trailer that slides it's entire length out
to add 75% or more.)

Early days was the Computer Eyes board for DOS PC. Then various windows
capture systems. I've owned some PC video editing stuff like Matrox
RT-2000 (sucked), and the Matrox Digisuite cards (found for sale online,
soemone thought it was networking hardware but I recognized the ports.)
Currently have Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio, which is very neat
hardware and software.

Haven't had a video toaster system... yet!

--
Ethan O'Toole