HP 21MX Ethernet/SCSI card?

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Wed Feb 18 10:24:04 CST 2015

Hi Johannes,

I see a Symbios Logic SCSI chip and the usual connector there so you've
definitely got SCSI.

What are those Zilog ICs? Any SCCs there? Or maybe just a little Z80 to run
the card... That could provide further insight.

What I don't see is any sort of Ethernet IC, nor do I see any of the usual
accoutrements of a 10 Base-T PHY... not that you couldn't implement
Ethernet in a PLD but I don't see what the design case would have been for
that and even if that were the case, I still don't see any of the
supporting discrete miscellanea (i.e. where's the DC-to-DC converter?)

To know for sure, you can try to follow the traces on that 8-pin keystone
jack and see where they go... if they land on a line driver or something,
that's a pretty strong hint as to what it is.

My guess is it's a SCSI card, perhaps with a little serial interface that
you can hook a TTY up to to configure and manage the card, as was done on
some Q-bus SCSI cards.

Best,

Sean

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Johannes Thelen <johannesthelen at hotmail.com