Purchased a Microvax 3800

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Sun Dec 6 12:24:18 CST 2015

Hi Devin,

I upgraded my 3300 to a KA660 CPU and a CQD SCSI controller. If you
are patient, sometimes QBUS SCSI controllers show up on e-bay much
cheaper than the reqularly listed several hundred dollar ones. I
paid around $75.

As much as I love old CPUs, I've lost my patience with hard disk drives.
I've been using AztecMonster (search ebay) CF-SCSI adapters, with several-GB
CF cards instead of spinning disks. The KA660 and several PDP-11/83s
here run reliably from CF storage. I see now there are SCSI2SD cards for
half the price of the AztecMonster CF adapters I've been using. These
might be an alternative, if they play okay with whatever q-bus SCSI
controller you find. Installing from SCSI CDROM and using flash
storage is definitely the way to go if you can get the parts.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com), KC3DRE