More on manuals plus rescue

Antonio Carlini arcarlini at iee.org
Fri Aug 21 10:42:26 CDT 2015

> That's a cop-out. "Someone else did it first" doesn't change the law.

In the general case both of the parties involved are breaking copyright
law, and the injured party is whoever holds the copyright (which isn't
likely to be the seller or the buyer in this case).

In this specific case though, as it's an HP manual, if it's one of the ones
that went with Agilent (now Keysight) then they seem to have an enlightened
attitude and make their old manuals available and also point to a whole
bunch of other places that do the same. So they may well be OK with someone
making a manual available ... although I don't see any explicit evidence
that they'd be OK with someone *selling* a PDF of one of their historic
manuals.

Antonio