Probs w. M3119 CXY08 MUX on VAX VMS 7.3

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Mon Aug 17 13:18:26 CDT 2015

Johnny Billquist wrote:

[..]

> >Since I'm a total VMS Noob I now have some Questions:
> >
> >.. have I missed something?
> >.. is the CXY08 bad?
> >.. what could I try next?
> >...is there some diagnosting software for the CXY08 existing for VMS
> >    and if yes, where can I get it?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
>
> Since you have an error count in there, I would expect there to be
> something in the error log. Might be worth checking what it says...

I think that errors are exactly what I got on the console, the write error,
(timeout writing) but ok, I could check that.. where exactly I should look?
(SYS$ERRORLOG:ERRLOG.SYS?)

> Other than that, I have not tried that specific hardware, but I have
> seen similar issues when DMA have been non-working. Are you sure the
> card is in the correct slot? I assume you know about qbus bus
> continuation, as well as the actual backplane layout, and possibly
> jumpers that might need to be put one way or another depending on the
> type of slot, if it is a quad size card...
>
> 	Johnny

The VAX4000/300 has a "special" CPU and Memory card cage on the right
side and left of it the QBus backplane, at top the DSSI connectors..all
on a big Backplane PCB (saw such a beast on Ebay lately).
As I already wrote, the multiplexer sits on the backplane in the slot next
to the CPU and it is a quad size board. In the next slot left of it at the
top sits the CQD200TM which is working fine with disk and CDROM and I think
it is using DMA too. This is a double size board, the lower half is only some
plastic sheet for mechanical purposes.
At the next top slot its the TK70 controller which is working too.
That's exactly the order in which I got the machine, don't think that there
is something wrong with that order and there is no gap between the boards
besides ot the 2nd lower slot (plastic sheet).

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741