VAX4000/300 MNS7.3 isntallation from CDROM

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Fri Aug 7 11:45:37 CDT 2015

Having the CDROM write protected is normal for read-only media.    The target drive needs to be write enabled.   Before you boot the CD, list the disks you have.

>>>sh device

Choose a disk that is unused/empty.

Once you get the $ or $$$ prompt, you need to restore the save from the CDROM to your target disk using BACKUP.

My installation looked like this.  DKA700 is the VAXVMS073 CDROM.  DKA0: is the unused disk.  Both disks are on the SCSI bus.

During the restore, control-T shows the progress.
Once I finished the restore of the OS to the new disk, booting from that disk automatically starts the rest of the install process.

------------

$$$ backup/image/verify dka700:vms073.b/save dka0:
 Restoring file: DKA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYS$LDR]FYDRIVER.EXE;1
 Saveset volume:1, saveset block:71 (32256 byte blocks)
 Restoring file: DKA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYS$LDR]SYSLOA1302.EXE;1
 Saveset volume:1, saveset block:143 (32256 byte blocks)
 Restoring file: DKA0:[VMS$COMMON.SYSMSG]CLIUTLMSG.EXE;1
 Saveset volume:1, saveset block:1260 (32256 byte blocks)
%BACKUP-I-STARTVERIFY, starting verification pass
$$$ log
  Process SYSTEM_1 logged out at 26-JUL-2015 00:19:53.71

    You can execute DCL commands and procedures for various "standalone"
    tasks, such as backing up the system disk.

    Please choose one of the following:

        1)  Execute DCL commands and procedures
        2)  Shut down this system

Enter CHOICE or "?" to repeat menu: (1/2/?) 2

        SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE - use console to halt system

?02 EXT HLT
        PC = 81F0E6D3
>>>b dka0:
(BOOT/R5:0 DKA0:)

  2..
-DKA0
  1..0..

%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
%SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SAVEDUMP parameter not set to protect the PAGEFILE.SYS
   OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version BI73-7G7 Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
%WBM-I-WBMINFO Write Bitmap has successfully completed initialization.

           OpenVMS VAX V7.3 Installation Procedure

                         Model: MicroVAX 3100-90
                 System device: DKX00 - _DKA0:
                   Free Blocks: 8238429
                      CPU type: 19-03

* Please enter the date and time (DD-MMM-YYYY HH:MM) 26-jul-2015