cctalk Digest, Vol 64, Issue 3

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Sun Jan 5 16:30:09 CST 2020

On Sun, 2020-01-05 at 21:54 +0100, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 19:02, Guy Sotomayor via cctalk
> <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I had been working on the IBM Microkernel (was one of the original 6
> people onthat team).  It was eventually to form the basis of OS/2 for
> PPC.  The way thatthe microkernel project was structured was that
> most
> of the "OS" was personalityneutral (e.g. could be used for Unix,
> OS/2,
> DOS, etc) and then there was an OSpersonality that ran on top of the
> infrastructure.  OS/2 on PPC was supposed tobe the first to ship.
>
> I think I read that it was based on CMU Mach -- is that right?

Yes.  We first started with Mach 3.0 build MK58.  We did our final
fork at MK68.  We made some *significant* changes from what CMU
had (things like changing mach messages from IPC to RPC) and a
whole lot of work in the area of scheduling.

> It did seem for a while that a lot of things were based on Mach, but
> very few seemed to make it to market. NeXTstep and OSF/1, the only
> version of which to ship AFAIK was DEC OSF/1 AXP, later Digital UNIX,
> later Tru64.

Yes, a lot of things were based on Mach. One OS that you're forgetting
is OS X. That is based upon Mach 2.5.

> MkLinux didn't get very far, either, did it?

I think that was the original Linux port for PPC.

--
TTFN - Guy