cctalk Digest, Vol 64, Issue 3

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 14:54:42 CST 2020

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 19:02, Guy Sotomayor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I had been working on the IBM Microkernel (was one of the original 6
> people onthat team).  It was eventually to form the basis of OS/2 for
> PPC.  The way thatthe microkernel project was structured was that most
> of the "OS" was personalityneutral (e.g. could be used for Unix, OS/2,
> DOS, etc) and then there was an OSpersonality that ran on top of the
> infrastructure.  OS/2 on PPC was supposed tobe the first to ship.

I think I read that it was based on CMU Mach -- is that right?

It did seem for a while that a lot of things were based on Mach, but
very few seemed to make it to market. NeXTstep and OSF/1, the only
version of which to ship AFAIK was DEC OSF/1 AXP, later Digital UNIX,
later Tru64.

MkLinux didn't get very far, either, did it?