Ordering parts onesie twosie

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Jan 1 16:42:12 CST 2020

On 01/01/2020 04:11 PM, ben via cctalk wrote:
> On 1/1/2020 11:36 AM, William Donzelli via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I am no longer marketing modern(ish) electronic
>> components for retail
>> - there is no money there. All that stuff - 1000s of ICs and
>> capacitors and connectors are going out for metal
>> recovery. Yes, it
>> hits home.
>>
>> --
>> Will
>>
> Let us not forget, places like Digikey (sp) tend to have
> only the latest
> surface mount stuff, not handy to find thru the hole
> parts, or not so common part, like 120 ns one vers 200 ns
> one. But on the other hand
> Digikey has true overnight shipping, order before say 5 pm
> and get it the next day.

Digi-Key still has plenty of through-hole parts, although
less than the 2 million+ items they once stocked.
Since I have a P&P machine, I, too, have moved over to using
as much SMT as possible, but still use
a lot of through-hole connectors and power transistors.
Their search engine is great, and this has pushed
other distributors to upgrade their search capability.

Jon