Identifying Machine for DEC Memory

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Apr 1 10:31:44 CDT 2020

On 04/01/2020 02:08 AM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
> I mistakenly bought some memory thinking it was for a VAXstation 4000 VLC.
> It turns out that it isn't. It physically fits a VAXstation 4000 Model 60,
> but putting it in that machine the machine fails to power up. The part
> number is 50-19464-02, and I am unable to identify what machine it works in.
> Can anyone tell me where to find out?

Is it possible the board is defective?  Does it have
tantalum capacitors?  A VERY well-known failure
mechanism of these is that they will work fine for years,
but if left unpowered for about two years, they will fail to
a shorted condition when powered on again.

In surface mount style, they will be little yellowish blocks
with a bar engraved or printed on one end.
Locating the one or two bad ones is an exercise in major
frustration!

Jon