Scanning question

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 19 06:06:19 CDT 2019

On 19/07/2019 06:01, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:

> I have a lot more to say about the wisdom of destroying original publications
> to scan them, especially when you are not already an expert at scanning and
> the many tradeoffs.
> But have to go afk just now.

I scanned a decent amount, several hundred items, when I had access to
reasonable scanners. I've "destroyed" precisely one item and that
actually still exists (I cut the spine off but I still have all the
pages). A few other docs had already fallen apart (the glue in the
binding had failed over the years) so I may have separated out the last
few remaining pages. Everything else was either in a ring binder or
stapled together (in which case I've reassembled the document afterwards).

So scanning doesn't necessarily lead to a reduction in available hardcopy.

I suspect that much more is lost either due to "I need the space, this
has to go" or time (water damage, pages sticking together, mice/worms,
whatever).

Which reminds me, I need to find online copies of Personal Computer
World so I can sell off a few boxes worth :-)

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com