Scanning question

Patrick Finnegan pat at vax11.net
Fri Jul 19 05:50:37 CDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019, 01:01 Guy Dunphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> I have a lot more to say about the wisdom of destroying original
> publications
> to scan them, especially when you are not already an expert at scanning and
> the many tradeoffs.
> But have to go afk just now.

There are literally dozens of classic computers that I've been able to fix
or make useful thanks to scanned manuals from Al Kossow or others, where
the docs are too rare for me to have found an original of.

Without the scanned copies, the machines probably would have ended up
scrapped.

It's better to have more people making more information accessible than
just hoarding documentation (and then they probably just eventually get
thrown out) and not scanning them because of some curmudgeon saying they
don't know the best way to do it.

Pat