OT: Phone museum seeks new owner

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 10:04:23 CST 2019

> On Feb 20, 2019, at 10:53 AM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/20/19 7:39 AM, geneb wrote:
>> They may have a physical presence in the EU, which would cause the GDPR to apply to them.  However, for companies with no physical presense in the EU, I don't see how the law could apply.
>
> I agree with your logic.
>
> However your valid logic is contrary to my understanding.
>
> I've seen reference to too many entities that don't have a presence in the EU that are doing things like blocking EU access to websites specifically because of GDPR.

There is ample precedent for small companies staying away from stuff because of fear of regulations or other legal hassles (like certain software licenses).  Those fears aren't necessarily based on solid foundations.  But when the possible downside is major legal hassles and bad publicity, and even investigating the potential threat is expensive (paying specialized lawyers in various countries) it makes sense simply to stay away and incur no risk.

	paul