Shipping from Europe to USA

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Aug 24 22:03:55 CDT 2019

On 08/24/2019 04:06 PM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:

> What use is insurance?  If the unique machine that you have been searching for
> for so long it destroyed in shipping, the insurance company pays you less
> than it's value
It seems shippers have some label or something that
identifies high-value packages, and if one gets damaged,
some manager comes down hard on the person who did it.  So,
packages that are insured for higher values are USUALLY
treated with greater care.  Accidents can happen, of course.

There also seems to be a BIG difference in the usual level
of care provided by different shippers.
I have had several things smashed by UPS, some of them
REALLY took a lot of effort to smash.
I have NEVER had even the SLIGHTEST damage with FedEx, even
their ground service.
This could just be statistical chance, but I don't think so.

I also had several international shipments with the US Post
Office just totally disappear if I forgot to insure them.
Never had one damaged or lost if insured.

Jon