IBM PT-2

Connor Krukosky connork at connorsdomain.com
Thu Aug 22 19:19:19 CDT 2019

Yea the PT-2 was a CE tool used for TONS of devices, I have a write-up
on IBM storage from the 3370 days and the PT-2 was mentioned for
diagnostics on the 3370, even remotely to a customer site over landline
I would suppose.
So a pretty neat thing but this and all later devices had tapes you'd
run on them to do the diagnostic packages. So there are tons of these
devices and very few tapes floating around, even within IBM I have only
seen a few tapes floating around anymore but a few of these machines
still sit tucked away in corners...
Tapes get lost over time, thrown out, whatever, assets and physical
machines stick around.
I do know one of the types of tapes ran to run some kind of test was a
"SCAM" it was called, someone I talked to said he liked to joke it ran
"SCAM"s at IBM.

I also bet there was tons of internal documentations because I assume
the programs don't just give out straight answers to problems, probably
give ref codes and things that you'd need documentation or knowledge to
know what is failing or whats doing what. So sadly these things are
quite the mystery unless your a CE who kept all of their stuff.

That is what I know of anyway from my perspective. I probably know 0.1%
what some others know so take everything with a grain of salt :)

-Connor K