Raspberry Pi write cycles

Jim MacKenzie jim at photojim.ca
Fri Aug 9 18:03:00 CDT 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Adam Thornton via cctalk
Sent: Friday, August 9, 2019 3:44 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: Raspberry Pi write cycles

I did have a case where the Pi I was using as secondary DNS/DHCP and as the secondary backup server (using USB spinning disk) destroyed its SD card.

But then it turned out not to be the load at all.  No matter what I ran on that Pi, it would corrupt its SD cards in a matter of weeks (the symptom was that the fourth bit of some bytes would just stick on).  I assume it was just something broken in the Pi itself.
===
The usual cause of this is an insufficiently beefy power supply.  Every Pi that I ever had that ate SD cards ceased the habit when I put a better supply on it.

Jim