i860: Re: modern stuff

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Tue Nov 6 00:24:39 CST 2018

The i860 seemed to be everywhere in high end graphics for a brief period of time; it seems like everyone whose graphics had been several ganged Weitek units and their own execution engine to feed them switched to one or more i860 chips at once. (Wasn’t RealityEngine also i860?)

Did Intel offer some sort of incentive to do so? Was the chip really all that for its day, as the contemporary deep dive in BYTE seemed to make it out to be? Or was it just an attempt to hedge and use something developers hoped would become a commodity with successive backwards-compatible generations like Intel’s CPUs?

  — Chris

Sent from my iPad