i860: Re: modern stuff

Marc Howard cramcram at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:53:59 CDT 2018

I designed the video section of that board set (VX/MVX).  The VX had an
i860 + a very large 32 bit frame buffer.  It also had and 2nd 8 bit frame
buffer based two custom Sun chips that was used for the window system.  The
video could switch between the two frame buffers on a per-pixel basis.  The
output format of the larger frame buffer was micro-programmable; some VXs
were used by Sarnoff Labs in early development of the HDTV standard.

The MVX had four i860s and a very wide (256 bits?) high speed connection to
the VX.

Oh, and the guys that developed the chip set for 2D graphics?  They left
and founded a little company called Nvidia.  Sigh.

Marc